Calverley CE School plans for a cross-curricular topic approach (excluding English and Maths which will be taught separately, although may be linked to the theme of the topic).
Each topic will have a topic ‘driver’ which will be from the History, Science or Geography subjects.
The outcomes for children’s content learning have also been identified and progression of these skills has been planned for. The children revisit and develop skills and knowledge through the year and year on year as a result of a planned, 'spiralling skills' curriculum.
Our outstanding curriculum:
1. is underpinned by aims, values and purpose
2. develops the whole person - knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes
3. is broad, balanced and has clear progression in subject knowledge and skills
4. is filled with rich first-hand purposeful experiences
5. is flexible and responsive to individual needs and interests
6. embeds the principle of sustainability
7. has an eye on the future and the needs of future citizens
8. encourages the use of environments and expertise beyond the classroom
9.makes meaningful links between areas of knowledge across the curriculum
10. has a local, national and international dimension
Any curriculum areas that do not meaningfully fit with the topic plan can be taught separately in stand-alone sessions.
The principles, aims and Long Term Plans for each curriculum area can be viewed by clicking on each curriculum subject.